[Haskell-cafe] Efficient object identity (aka symbols as data)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:12:17 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 04:45, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:

> What is the Haskell approach to efficient comparison and lookup of objects
> by their identity?

ghc uses Data.Unique to generate unique internal identifiers to associate
with things.  (Think gensym.  Hm, except last time I did anything serious
with Lisp, it was Maclisp... does gensym even still exist, or did CL do
something inscrutable with it?)  Beyond that, the existence of functions
such as reallyUnsafePointerEquality# makes me think it's a Hard Problem.