[Haskell-cafe] lambdabot hoogle

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 17:42:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Jacek Generowicz
<jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> Quite possibly not, but it would it be too much to ask, to have the
> documentation mention that they need to be installed separately if you
> intend to use them through lambdabot?

I've just added them to the dependencies.

> I've already stumbled across mueval and hoogle as things that need to be
> installed separately before the full advertized features of lambdabot work.
>
> With this experience under my belt and the benefit of hindsight, I vaguely,
> almost, kinda, maybe see how I could have guessed that the stubborn response
> "A Hoogle error occurred." to any hoogle command in lambdabot, means that I
> need to install hoogle locally:
>
> 'hoogle ...' --> "A Hoogle error occurred." ==> install hoogle.
>
> But how on earth was I supposed to guess that in order to make 'check' work,
> the package to install was 'mueval', given that the error message was
> "Terminated"?
>
> 'check ...' --> "Terminated" ==> install mueval.

You weren't really meant to - lambdabot isn't exactly meant for anyone
who won't look at the source when something goes wrong. It's only
half-maintained by me; I do easy fixes but nothing else since the
lambdabot codebase is large and IMO rotten.

> Hmmm.
>
> What other lambdabot features rely on packages that need to be installed
> separately?

Brainfuck and unlambda are separate executables, but they already have deps.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net