[Haskell-cafe] Names for pretty-printing combinators

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Wed May 25 16:45:29 CEST 2011

Hi Ivan

empty is fine as is, obviously with a Monoid instance as well, people
can choose to use mempty which removes potential name clashes.

I was thinking of (<$>) and (<+>), though I was forgetting that (<+>)
is actually ArrowPlus.

If you are mostly gifting angles as notation to Applicative, maybe a
pretty print library can live with fewer infix ops? Though you could
still define fixities for the binary cases:

infixr 6 `sep1`

Or maybe steal the notation form Vector-Space (^+^) as cases where you
would want both imported at the same time may be uncommon.

Although "trivial" proposals often get rejected for changes to Base, I
suspect a proposal for (<>) as a synonym for `mappend` might have
legs, it would certainly have a lot of support...