[Haskell-cafe] Policy for taking over a package on Hackage

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:17:46 CEST 2011

Hi Ivan

Forks are good, no?

The Parsec experience has suggested to me at least, that new author's
"capping" another author's work by bumping up to a major version,
causes a significant difficulties even when the original author has
gone.

As for wl-pprint, it was a very tidy library in its original
implementation - it's a pity it now has name clashes with Applicative.
My feeling is that a new library in a new namespace with some
attention to new combinator names would be better.