[Haskell-cafe] lambdabot hoogle

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Wed May 25 12:22:24 CEST 2011

On 2011 May 25, at 05:53, Mark Wright wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2011 02:20:39 +0200, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
> > wrote:
>> I have recenly installed lambdabot. Its response to *each* *and*
>> *every* hoogle command is *always*
>>
>>     A Hoogle error occurred.
>>
>> I'm hoping that someone on Cafe might be able to offer a more helpful
>> diagnosis than this ... erm ... terse ... error message.
>
> Hi Jacek,

Hi Mark,

> The lambdabot hoogle command requires hoogle to be installed locally,
> and to work.

Ah. Thank you. I had assumed that it connected to a server.

(Maybe my assumption was not entirely unfounded, given that the
installation instructions for lambdabot blithely state that you "just
cabal install lambdabot", nowhere suggesting that you might need to
*manually* install some of its dependencies.)

> Hence the first thing to ty is to run the hoogle command
> line version, something like:
>
> hoogle '[a] -> a'
>
> If that doesn't work, maybe try building some hoogle databases.

First I needed to 'cabal install hoogle'. Having done that, I needed
to do what you suggested:

> hoogle data

Which works swimmingly on Ubuntu, but fails on OS X, because wget
seems to be hard-wired. I seem to recall that at least one of the
packages that I installed over the last 2 days, automatically selected
wget on Ubuntu, and curl on OS X.

Any pointers to the least painful way of getting 'hoogle data' to work
on OS X?

Once I have the hoogle command line version working, it seems that
lambdabot truncates its output to just the first 3 lines. Is this
normal? Is there a way of customizing or changing this behaviour?