[Haskell-cafe] Cabal: disabling -fvia-C

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue May 24 11:39:49 CEST 2011

On 2011 May 24, at 11:12, Jacek Generowicz wrote:

> I have found an {-# OPTION -fvia-C #-} deep inside the lambdabot
> code in Plugin/Pl/Common.hs. How can I tell cabal install to ignore
> this? Is there some command line option for doing so, or do I have
> to edit the source code and somehow persuade cabal to use my hacked
> version ?

The edited source code is ignored by cabal install. However, if you
tar.gz the edited source code and replace the original tarball (making
sure that you do *not* remove the untarred directory (it seems that
you can remove its contents, but not the directory itself)), then
cabal install works and lambdabot installs.

But I can't help feeling that this is not the smartest way to solve
this problem. It looks like a random solution achieved by someone who
doesn't understand what is going on.

Is there a more sensible way to do this?