[Haskell-cafe] *GROUP HUG*

xp xp at renzhi.ca
Tue May 24 11:21:01 CEST 2011

I've been lurking around, and yes, I also think the Haskell
community is very civilized.

I think having people asking all kinds of questions is a
good sign that people are interested. And as a member of
the community, especially if you are an experienced
member (i.e. you have invested time and energy in this
because you like this technology), it is probably a good
thing for you too if the community is vibrant, and if
it attracts new members.

Sometimes, you know the question is dumb, and you have a
huntch that the answer is very simple, but it just doesn't
click. You might stare at it for hours or days, without
any solution, and it might probably take someone a fraction
of a second to point it out, and just a little hint, and
you are set to go.

That's why it's very important to be nice to newbies or
oldies, even if you think the question is really dumb.
I've been writing C/C++ for over 15 years, and Java over
10 years. On a daily basis. But sometimes, I can stare at
a f*ing error and have no clue why it is an error.
When I learn to program Haskell, I'm just lurking around
to see how is the community before committing time
and energy on it.

So yes, please keep it that way.

xp