[Haskell-cafe] Further installation adventures

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon May 23 19:15:53 CEST 2011

I'm trying to cabal install lambdabot. This depends on a squillion
other libraries, which cabal tries to install, among which is
readline, which fails to configure as follows.

Configuring readline-1.0.1.0...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for GNUreadline.framework... checking for readline... no
checking for tputs in -lncurses... no
checking for tputs in -ltermcap... no
checking for tputs in -lcurses... no
checking for rl_readline_version... no
configure: error: readline not found, so this package cannot be built
See `config.log' for more details.
readline-1.0.1.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

 From which I conclude that it can't find the readline library. I have
all sorts of flavours of readline on my system, so I'll need a bit
more information about what exactly it's looking for.

It tells me to look in config.log. I presume that this is the config
log of the cabal package readline, which cabal automatically
downloaded, unpacked ... and presumably automatically cleaned up at
the end, because I can't find it anywhere.

Where should I be looking for the relevant config.log?