[Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at phys.washington.edu
Fri May 20 20:39:03 CEST 2011

On 5/20/11 8:35 AM, Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:
> I would like to suggest, quite seriously, that the Haskell community
> try to come to a consensus about supporting a single Haskell GUI, with
> a view to distribution in the HP. Obviously my vote is for wxHaskell,
> but I'm quite prepared to loose the vote. Reason is that I think we
> need to concentrate some effort on getting one GUI binding to
> 'production' status, and I don't believe that on the current basis we
> will ever do this. From my perspective, only GtkHS and wxHaskell look
> like serious candidates with at least some history and maturity behind
> them.

If you are going to rule out Qt, then the only good cross-platform
option remaining is wx since Gtk is not fully native on OSX but instead
uses X11 which results in an inferior user experience, and it would be a
bad idea to have that be the standard that everyone associates with
applications written in Haskell.

Cheers,
Greg