[Haskell-cafe] The Lisp Curse

Roel van Dijk vandijk.roel at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:52:50 CEST 2011

On 20 May 2011 12:46, Markus Läll <markus.l2ll at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's stopping it from being put on the official hackage? I use it quite a
> lot to find well established packages and/or example code, and am quite fond
> of it. But it is only visible when you know that this exists.

Poor timing. I wrote the patch when there was significant work being
done for the new version of hackage [1]. So the feeling was that the
current hackage (which is a bunch of cgi programs) would soon be
replaced by the new hackage-server (based on happstack). I also stated
in my initial announcement that I would look into writing a version of
my reverse dependencies for the new server. I haven't done that yet.
Since at least July of 2010 the new server has some support for
reverse dependencies.

Unfortunately hackage-server seems to have lost a bit of momentum. It
is now almost 3 years old. Looking at "darcs show authors" I'd say
there are about 4 main contributors, with the main author being Duncan
Coutts. The last patches are from December 2010.

I think the best solution is to get more people contributing to
hackage-server. It is superior to the current hackage in many ways.

1 - http://code.haskell.org/hackage-server/