[Haskell-cafe] The Lisp Curse

Eric Rasmussen ericrasmussen at gmail.com
Fri May 20 02:12:03 CEST 2011

I only recently started learning Haskell and have had a difficult time
convincing other Python hackers to come on board. I see two things that
might help:

1) A resource to make informed decisions about different libraries.
Something that includes specific criteria like how long a library has been
out, how often it's maintained, how many people use it, etc. Ideally you'd
be able to see a quick table comparison of features across libraries that
perform similar tasks (roughly translated to something like: "this xml
library is well established, has great documentation, and works for most
parsing tasks, while this other one is much faster but not widely used
yet").

2) Languages like Python make it easy to write fast performing code in a few
lines that will read/write files, split strings, and build lists or
dictionaries/associative arrays. There are very clever ways of doing all
these things Haskell, but it can involve several qualified imports and time
researching ByteStrings/Lazy ByteStrings/ByteString.Char8. It would be nice
to have a single module that exports some common text operations via
ByteStrings without requiring a lot of upfront research time learning to
work with ByteStrings, and possibly a limited export of Data.Map features as
well.

The second one would hold little interest for advanced developers of course,
but when someone is faced with a difficult learning task, if you give them a
strong starting point that produces results it can help motivate them to
keep learning. Is anyone working on either of these things or interested in
working on them? I'm not quite ready to produce high quality Haskell code
yet, but I'd like to contribute if I can.