[Haskell-cafe] blaze-builder and FlexibleInstances in code that aims to become part of the Haskell platform

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Fri May 20 00:45:38 CEST 2011

On 19 May 2011 10:53, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Long term we'd like to switch bytestring over
> from ForeignPtr to ByteArray#, if possible. There are currently some
> technical obstacles to such a switch

BTW I'm working with Roman Leshchinskiy to create the
vector-bytestring package which provides:
type ByteString = Data.Vector.Storable.Vector Word8
and exports the same API as the bytestring package (no support for
lazy bytestrings yet)

A storable vector still uses a ForeignPtr but maybe this will make the
switch to unboxed Vectors (which use ByteArray#) easier.

Expect some code to be up somewhere next week.

Bas