[Haskell-cafe] The Lisp Curse

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Fri May 20 00:00:01 CEST 2011

The way I understand it, you're saying not that we shouldn't be doing it
this way (since it isn't centrally managed, it's the only possible way), but
that we shouldn't be "bragging" (for lack of a better word) that we have
lots of libraries that do a specific thing. Or if not that, then at least
that it isn't a clear win.

I agree that from an end-user's perspective it isn't always a clear win, but
I do think that having a bunch of libraries (even ones that do the same
thing) an indicator of a healthy, active, and enthusiastic community. Sure,
it's decentralized and people will often duplicate effort, but different
variations on the same idea can also help explore the design space and will
reveal to everyone interested what works and what doesn't.

But yeah, if you want to do X and you encounter 15 libraries that do X and
can't find a clear consensus on what's best, I can understand why that might
be frustrating. I don't think there's really a clear solution to that
though, other than gently encouraging collaboration and scoping out of
existing work before starting new work. But people generally hate working
with other people's code, so I doubt that'll have much of an effect :)

Dan