[Haskell-cafe] The Lisp Curse

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Thu May 19 23:48:56 CEST 2011

I wonder if it would be useful to be able to download and use only necessary
modules from Hackage. This way if someone writes, say a superior XML parsing
API, and someone else has better generating API, the user can pull just
those modules , write the glue and have the best of both worlds.

On the upside this would:
1. Make for a smaller local cabal repository.
2. Mitigate the problem of having to compile a package that has
functionality you don't need. MissingH [1] is a good example.
3. Allow you to continue working even if one of the modules doesn't compile.
I recently ran into this with liboleg [2] where I only wanted Control.CCCXe,
but couldn't "cabal install" it on my system because one of the other
modules failed to compile.

-deech

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/MissingH-1.1.0.3
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/liboleg