[Haskell-cafe] The Lisp Curse

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu May 19 22:20:30 CEST 2011

On 19/05/2011 07:56 PM, Gilberto Garcia wrote:
> I think what Andrew meant is that it's not a good idea to have big
> pile of different implementations of the same library, and all trying
> to solve the very same problem.

I'm glad somebody understood what I was trying to get at.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't ever have more than one library
tackling the same problem. I'm just saying that when people say "we have
multiple libraries competing to solve this problem, and that's
*great*"... well, not necessarily, no. Obviously there's room for
finding out what the best way to solve the problem is, but ultimately
the ideal is to end up with one library that solves the problem well,
which everybody can use.