[Haskell-cafe] No fish, please

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed May 18 23:39:47 CEST 2011

On 18/05/2011 05:28 AM, Don Stewart wrote:
> I'm intrigued by  the idea of Hackage docs that don't use Haddock.

This is basically the reason I asked. Currently Cabal assumes that
Haddock is the only tool of its kind. If somebody built a better
Haddock, you wouldn't be able to use it. (Unless you named the
executable "haddock" and made it accept the same command options.)

Also, Haddock generates API reference documentation. It does not really
support generating tutorials, introductions, HOWTOs, and all the other
types of useful documentation that a project ought to have.

> IF you do have better docs, host them somewhere, and put a link
> prominently in the .cabal file synopsis.

That works, but it does mean that you can't read the documentation
offline. (It also requires you to have somewhere to host, which not
everybody has. Hackage provides hosting for the code itself, but you can
only host documentation there if it's Haddock.)