[Haskell-cafe] Is fusion overrated?

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Wed May 18 08:04:45 CEST 2011

Yes, the goal isn't so much to improve complexity (both are O(1)) but to
reduce the constant factor on that O(1).

In an inner loop like that, allocator/gc calls by far dominate the cost of
the program.  If you can remove them, you've improved the performance of the
program by 10-100x.

In the case where everything is Int, you can even unbox and get entirely in
registers, which gives you comparable performance to a hand-tuned C or
assembly language loop.

  -- ryan