[Haskell-cafe] opening windows on a mac via ghci?

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Wed May 18 01:31:46 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:
> Has anyone figured out a way to get libraries that open windows to work with
> ghci? With libraries like glut I get the body of a window, but no frame, and
> the process wedges. I guess the problem has to do with lack of .app bundle.
> If so, perhaps a work-around might involve running ghci in an app
> bundle--though I'm just speculating from vast ignorance.

Conal, I would recommend not using GLUT.  I wrote an article about
picking a GUI library to use with OpenGL:
http://blog.codersbase.com/2011/03/picking-gui-library-to-use-with-opengl.html

My advice is to use GLFW-b.  There are a few mac specific bugs with
using that library right now but they are fixable, and I know the
author accepts patches because I've sent several myself:
https://github.com/bsl/GLFW-b/issues

The issues with the app bundle has to do with the way the resources
are located by OSX.  Anything I say beyond that is just speculation on
my part as I haven't studied the documentation in detail yet.

I hope that helps,
Jason