[Haskell-cafe] cannot install base-4.3.1.0 package

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Sun May 15 16:58:48 CEST 2011

On Sunday 15 May 2011 16:35:35, Immanuel Normann wrote:
> Hi,
> how can I install the base-4.3.1.0 package. I tried first

No. That can't work (at least with GHC). The base package is one of the
packages that the compiler was built with, it is impossible to replace it
and have a working compiler (again, GHC, for other compilers it might be
possible, but I don't think it currently is for any).

If you want a compiler with bae-4.3.1.0, install a compiler that was built
with it (ghc-7.0.*).

Other packages you cannot replace are process, directory, array,
containers, integer-(gmp|simple), ghc, ghc-prim, ..., basically everything
that comes with a vanilla ghc install (except Cabal, you can install a
different version of Cabal without breaking things, afaik).