[Haskell-cafe] cannot install base-4.3.1.0 package

Immanuel Normann immanuel.normann at googlemail.com
Sun May 15 16:35:35 CEST 2011

Hi,
how can I install the base-4.3.1.0 package. I tried first

> cabal install base

that gives me this error:

Resolving dependencies...
cabal: Distribution/Client/Dependency/TopDown.hs:169:37-73:
Non-exhaustive patterns in lambda

I googled for this error and found nothing but the simple statement in
the track system http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/605:

"cabal install base is not expected to work, however the error message
should be better, see #597. "

(but the link to #547 doesn't solve the problem either)

So I downloaded base-4.3.1.0 package from hackage and run:

> runhaskell Setup configure

which gives this error:

Setup.hs:1:0:
    attempting to use module `Prelude' (./Prelude.hs) which is not loaded

Then I noticed that there is configure script in the base-4.3.1.0 dir,
so executed this which yields this error message:

config.status: error: cannot find input file: `base.buildinfo.in'

Why is it so complicated to install the base package?

Thanks for any help!