[Haskell-cafe] Exception for NaN

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Sat May 14 03:42:22 CEST 2011

You can set and clear float exception flags directly with ieee-utils: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/ieee-utils/0.4.0/doc/html/Numeric-IEEE-FloatExceptions.html

It looks like it needs a few tweaks to build with GHC 7, but even then that particularly module should still build fine.

So before a complicated numeric calculation, clear the flags. Then, after forcing the result, check to see if any flags have been triggered and take appropriate action. This is more efficient than checking the flags after every operation anyway.

Cheers,
Sterl.