[Haskell-cafe] Proposal to incorporate Haskell.org

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:08:35 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Don Stewart <dons00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> The haskell.org committee[1], in the interest of the long-term stability
> of the open source Haskell community infrastructure, has decided to
> incorporate haskell.org as a legal entity. This email outlines our
> recommendation, and seeks input from the community on this decision.
>
> The committee's proposal is that haskell.org incorporate as an entity
> under the Software Freedom Conservancy umbrella organization (the same group
> that Darcs joined recently):
>
>    http://sfconservancy.org/
>
> If we proceed with this move, haskell.org will be a legal entity, and
> registered as a non-profit, allowing us to more directly accept
> (US tax-deductible) donations, and to invest in assets that benefit the
> Haskell open source community.
>
> We welcome your feedback on the proposal attached below.
>
> -- Don Stewart (on behalf of the Haskell.org committee)

Keeping -cafe and committee@ on the CC list.

Joining the SFC looks like a good alternative to full-on
incorporation, and having some sort of legal cover for operations
involving money and ownership of infrastructure looks like a good
idea.

Which assets would move over to the SFC? The domain name? Any sort of
hosting could then be leased by the SFC to whomever is doing this now.
I'm a bit fuzzy here.

They look pretty flexible, and are open to some, none, or all of a
project's assets being in the name of the SFC.

Antoine