[Haskell-cafe] Modeling the performance of a non-trivial software app

C K Kashyap ckkashyap at gmail.com
Wed May 11 05:55:11 CEST 2011

Hi,
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to model a software app's
performance using Haskell. The idea is a little abstract in my mind right
now. I'll try and illustrate it with an example - Let's say, I want to model
a web app - to, model it, I could think of the following entities -

1. One or more clients and as many connections (essentially bandwidth of
each connection)
2. A Load balancer ( and bandwidths to the webservers)
3. Bunch of webservers (and bandwidths to the database server)
4. A database server

Using the model, I could generate performance characteristics and figure out
if database is the bottleneck or not ... if so, what level of  sharding
would be useful etc

Is there already a wheel I am trying to re-invent? Has anyone attempted
this?

Regards,
kashyap