[Haskell-cafe] Crypto-api performance

Johan Brinch brinchj at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:24:24 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:14, Jesper Louis Andersen
<jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 09:47, Johan Brinch <brinchj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Stuff like xor'ing two bytestrings or generating a block of
>> incremental IV's (for CTR mode)?
>
> I don't particularly like the notion of XOR on a bytestring. The
> bytestring is not a number and it does not make much sense to bitwise
> xor such a string. I'd rather have a type specifically tailored for
> doing crypto-style computations and then use it. Such that the
> underlying implementation can be repa, bytestring,
> supermegavectorizationistic, or something completely different.

Well, the need for extracting the underlying char pointer to call the
c function does limit possible abstraction of the data structure
somewhat. Of course, one could make a type class providing unpack/pack
functions for extracting the pointer and rebuilting the Haskell value.

Of course, this was never meant as part as anything, but a low level
crypto lib for high level crypto libs to use. It's not meant for
regular usage.

--
Johan Brinch