[Haskell-cafe] Apache license, any drawbacks for Haskell packages?

Max Rabkin max.rabkin at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:10:30 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:59, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>>
>> Are there any drawbacks to using the Apache license for Haskell
>> packages?
>
> I don't think so.  It looks to be almost identical to using BSD3, which is
> already quite popular for haskellers.

I would consider this, in itself, to be a small but significant
disadvantage. Anyone who uses Haskell is going to know (and probably
be comfortable with) the BSD3 license. If I find Apache-licensed code,
I now have to look that up, determine the differences between it and
BSD3, find out whether it's compatible with the GPL and BSD3.

Basically, the cost of introducing *any* new license to a software
ecosystem is non-zero. Of course, a widespread license like Apache is
better than making up your own.

--Max