[Haskell-cafe] lambdabot install error

Sönke Hahn shahn at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sat May 7 03:52:06 CEST 2011

epsilonhalbe wrote:

> hey haskellers,
> i'm fresh into haskell and love it. so to do faster easier haskell i
> wanted to install lambdabot but had to face some errors - i don't
> understand them at all
> here is some error output from zsh:
>
> http://hpaste.org/46401/bot_install_error
>
> can anyone help me - i'm working on a debian (crunchbang)
> y.t epsilonhalbe (ε/2)

I ran into very similar problems on ubuntu 11.4. The culprit seems to be
binutils version 2.21.something. (I think the assembler is suddenly more
strict in some situations and aborts assembling with these error messages.)

There is a related bug report in ghc's trac: [1]. According to that, you
could try to remove the "-fvia-C" flag to prevent ghc from using the C
backend. (I had no luck with that, so I guess there is still another bug
lurking.)

HTH,
Sönke

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5050