[Haskell-cafe] Haskell statistics for use of TypeFamilies and FunctionalDependencies

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:54:59 CEST 2011

Continuing my investigation of my local copies of
patch-tag+github+c.h.o+misc repositories (, I rewrote my
haskell-src-exts script to examine LANGUAGE extensions in use
(ignoring any .cabal flags):

import Language.Haskell.Exts
import qualified Data.Foldable as F (concat)
import Control.Monad (when)

main :: IO ()
main = do args <- fmap lines $ getContents
          mapM_ (\a -> checkAndPrint a `catch` (\_ -> return ())) args

checkAndPrint :: FilePath -> IO ()
checkAndPrint    fs = do x <- readFile fs
                         let exts = F.concat $ readExtensions x
                         let exts' = filter (\y -> y ==
FunctionalDependencies || y == TypeFamilies) exts
                         when (not $ null exts') $ putStr (fs++":") >>
(putStrLn $ unwords $ map show exts)
                         return ()

The attachment is the gzipped* result of `find . -type f -name "*?hs"
| sort | runhaskell ~/extensions.hs >> ~/exts.txt`.

Notes:

- 3597 files matched either LANUAGE
- there were:

    2685 users of TypeFamilies
    1030 users of FunctionalDependencies
    118 users of TypeFamilies+FunctionalDependencies

2.7k TypeFamilies may be surprisingly large; if so, it may be due to
GHC and its duplicates; 947 lines match the string 'ghc'  and 721
lines match both 'ghc' and 'TypeFamilies'.

* 500k is a bit much for an attachment

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net