[Haskell-cafe] Please add a method for optimized concat to the Semigroup class

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed May 4 00:49:36 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> Edward Kmett wrote:
> > sconcat :: [a] -> a -> a
> > with either the semantics you supplied or something like
> > sconcat = appEndo . mconcat . map diff
>

> The sconcat we have been discussing is
>
> sconcat = flip $ appEndo . getDual . mconcat . map (Dual . Endo . flip
> (<>))

Holger's basically had this form, but I think Tetley's version is more
useful, because it provides for the scenario you describe below where there
is no value of the semigroup's type that you can merge with.

> > But it was somewhat unsatisfying, in part because of the need for a seed
> > element.
>
> Only because, as you said, there is no standard non-empty list type.

I have a streams package which provides a number of non-empty list types,
but it is fairly high up my module hierarchy, as it requires a number of
compiler extensions, and other classes, and so isn't available to the class
down here in the semigroups package.

> > Another unsatisfying detail is no definition is in any way shape or form
> > canonical when folding over a list.
>
> While our definition doesn't look any better than the others
> when expressed in terms of those combinators, it certainly
> seems to be the most natural when defined directly
> as Holger did. It's also the direct analogue of mconcat when
> viewed as the same type with lists replaced by non-empty
> lists. I'm sure that's the definition most users will expect.
> But I would be happy with whichever you supply.
>
> > ...I'm more than happy to add it if only for
> > symmetry with Data.Monoid, but I'd be much happier doing
> > so with a compelling example where it actually sped things up
>
> I'm currently doing some recognition algorithms on heterogeneous
> collections of graphical elements on a 2D canvas. Many types of
> elements have a location and a rectangular extent. You can often
> combine them, but there is no unit element because even an
> empty element needs to have a specific location. It would be very
> slow to combine a list of them incrementally; instead, you find
> the minimum and maximum X and Y coordinates, and combine
> the content using a fast algorithm.

This is a pretty good example. Even if in this case it is mostly saving you
the boxing and unboxing of the intermediate rectangles

You still probably want something closer to Stephen Tetley's version,
otherwise you're going to have to magic up just that kind of empty rectangle
that you don't want to give though!

In fact you probably want something even stronger, that way you can signal
the empty list result 'out of band' of the values you can fit in the
Semigroup. This would avoid specifying an alternative directly, and his case
can be derived with

sconcat :: Semigroup a => [a] -> Maybe a
sconcat [] = Nothing
sconcat (a:as) = Just (go a as)
   where
      go a (b:bs) = gs (a<>b) bs
      go a [] = a

and effectively avoids fiddling with the empty case throughout the list.

Then Stephen's version would look like

tetley :: Semigroup a => a -> [a] -> a
tetley alt = maybe alt id . sconcat

Alternately Option could be used instead of Maybe to keep the package's API
more self-contained, but I don't particularly care one way or the other.

(I originally used Monoid instances by augmenting types with
> locationless empty elements. But that made a mess of my code
> and introduced a myriad of bugs and potential crashes. These
> are definitely semigroups, not monoids.)
>

> I'm sure there are countless other natural examples of semigroups
> in the wild, and that the typical non-trivial ones will benefit
> from an optimized sconcat.

Sold! (modulo the semantic considerations above)

-Edward