[Haskell-cafe] Please add instance Semigroup Text

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue May 3 17:00:53 CEST 2011

Hi Edward,

Could you please add a Semigroup instance for Text?

Once you're doing that, I suppose you'd also want to
add it for lazy Text and both kinds of ByteStrings.
But what I currently need is strict Text.

The reason, of course, is that in complex calculations <>
is *so* much more readable than `mappend`. Obviously
WrappedMonoid is useless there.

Hmm, and now for Semigroup and Monoid we start down
the same path as for Functor and Monad...

Or should we give <> back to Monoid and use something
different for Semigroup? That doesn't seem very nice
either...

Well, in the meantime, you really will make my life easier
if you could add some more Semigroup instances
for popular Monoids.

Thanks,
Yitz