[Haskell-cafe] Robert Harper on monads and laziness

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue May 3 07:32:08 CEST 2011

For a historical perspective, I highly recommend The Definitive Account of the History of Haskell:

  http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/history-of-haskell/index.htm

Section 7 clearly and directly cites the desire to have pure I/O as the motivation for adopting monads.  As you are saying that doesn't directly contradict the statement of Bob that you cite.  In fact, Section 3.2 of the above paper supports the opinion that purity is a consequence of choosing to be lazy, but it also claims that the "combination of power and beauty" of a pure language motivated the language designers.  Interestingly, today (at least the academic fraction of) the Haskell community appears to hold the purity of the language in higher regard than its laziness.

Manuel

Ketil Malde: