[Haskell-cafe] object oriented technique

Yves Parès limestrael at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:09:58 CEST 2011

Actually, Tako:

   data Shape = forall a. Drawable a => Shape a

Can also be done with GADTs:

   data Shape where
       Shape :: Drawable a => a -> Shape

If wouldn't know if one approach is preferable to the other or if is just a
matter of taste.

Your problem, Tad, is kind of common. I ran against it several times. I know
of two ways to solve it :

- "The open way" (this is your method, with a class ShapeC and datatype
ShapeD which wraps instances of ShapeC)

- "The closed way", which can be broken in two alternatives:

* Using a plain Haskell98 ADT:
    data Shape = Circle .... | Rectangle ....
    draw :: Shape -> String
    draw (Circle ...) = ...
    draw (Rectangle ...) = ...

Flexible and simple, but not safe, since you have no way to
type-diferenciate Circles from Rectangles.

* Using a GADT and empty data declarations:
    data Circle
    data Rectangle
    data Shape a where
        Circle :: Double -> Double -> Double -> Shape Circle
        Rectangle :: Double -> Double -> Double -> Double -> Shape Rectangle

And then you can both use "Shape a" or "Shape Circle/Shape Rectangle", which
enables you either to make lists of Shapes or to specifically use Circles or
Rectangles.

The drawback of it is that since you have a closed type (the GADT Shape),
you cannot add a new shape without altering it.