[Haskell-cafe] How to best deal with nullPtr from alloca and friends?

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 06:59:26 CEST 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm on a 64bit version of windows here with more than 4GB of memory to spare
> for the GHC process. Unfortunately, allocaBytes takes an Int so I can't test
> it with a request larger than the amount of physical ram I have.

It would seem that the Haskell Platform for windows only ships a 32 bit
binary.  That is rather unfortunate:
$ ghci +RTS --info
WARNING: GHCi invoked via 'ghci.exe' in *nix-like shells (cygwin-bash, in
partic
ular)
         doesn't handle Ctrl-C well; use the 'ghcii.sh' shell wrapper
instead
 [("GHC RTS", "YES")
 ,("GHC version", "7.0.2")
 ,("RTS way", "rts_thr")
 ,("Build platform", "i386-unknown-mingw32")
 ,("Build architecture", "i386")
 ,("Build OS", "mingw32")
 ,("Build vendor", "unknown")
 ,("Host platform", "i386-unknown-mingw32")
 ,("Host architecture", "i386")
 ,("Host OS", "mingw32")
 ,("Host vendor", "unknown")
 ,("Target platform", "i386-unknown-mingw32")
 ,("Target architecture", "i386")
 ,("Target OS", "mingw32")
 ,("Target vendor", "unknown")
 ,("Word size", "32")
 ,("Compiler unregisterised", "NO")
 ,("Tables next to code", "YES")
 ]

With a 64bit build, perhaps I could experiment more.  I looked at the
Haskell Platform page and I don't see a 64bit version.  It would seem the
binary from GHC HQ has the same limitation since there is only one installer
and it claims to work on windows 2000:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_0_3#windows

Jason