[Haskell-cafe] Saving changes to cabal config in cabal-dev

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 22:00:59 CEST 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the fantastic cabal-dev tool!

You're welcome!

> Is there any convenient way to save changes to the
> package-specific cabal config file in cabal-dev?
> The only solution I have found so far is to run
> cabal-dev install once (ignoring the errors) to create
> the cabal-dev directory and cabal.config, make a
> copy of cabal.config with a different name, edit it
> as needed, and then use a long-winded
> "--config=..." option for every subsequent run
> cabal-dev.

That is currently the only way to do this :(.  One workaround is to
create an alias for cabal-dev that adds that flag.  e.g., in Bash:

alias cabal-dev = 'cabal-dev --config=cabal.config '

Then you can have a cabal.config next to your project cabal file and
it will use that.  To bypass the alias, just prefix it with "\", e.g.:

$ \cabal-dev

We're working on the first problem -- it's just a matter of finding
the time.  Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen for
another week or two.  The ticket is here:

https://github.com/creswick/cabal-dev/issues#issue/15

--Rogan