[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: enumerator 0.4.8

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sun Mar 27 23:22:00 CEST 2011

On 3/27/11 11:38 AM, John A. De Goes wrote:

> Enumeratees solve some use cases but not others. Let's say you want to incrementally compress a 2 GB file. If you use an enumeratee to do this, your "transformer" iteratee has to do IO. I'd prefer an abstraction to incrementally and purely produce the output from a stream of input.

I don't see why? In pseudocode we could have,

     enumRead2GBFile :: FilePath -> Enumerator IO ByteString
     enumRead2GBFile file iter0 = do
         fd <- open file
         let loop iter = do
                 mline <- read fd
                 case mline of
                     Nothing -> return iter
                     Just line -> do
                         iter' <- feed iter line
                         if isDone iter'
                             then return iter'
                             else loop iter'
         iterF <- loop iter0
         close fd
         return iterF

     compress :: Monad m => Enumeratee m ByteString ByteString
     compress = go state0
         where
         go state = do
             chunk <- get
             let (state',hash) = compressify state chunk
             put hash
             go state'

     compressify :: Foo -> ByteString -> (Foo,ByteString)

it's just a pipeline like function composition or shell pipes. There's
no reason intermediate points of the pipeline have do anything impure.

--
Live well,
~wren