[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: enumerator 0.4.8

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Sat Mar 26 21:33:09 CET 2011

I noticed this problem some time ago. Beyond just breaking monadic associativity, there are many other issues with standard definitions of iteratees:

1. It does not make sense in general to bind with an iteratee that has already consumed input, but there's no type-level difference between a "virgin" iteratee and one that has already consumed input;

2. Error recovery is ill-defined because errors do not describe what portion of the input they have already consumed;

3. Iteratees sometimes need to manage resources, but they're not designed to do so which leads to hideous workarounds;

4. Iteratees cannot incrementally produce output, it's all or nothing, which makes them terrible for many real world problems that require both incremental input and incremental output.

Overall, I regard iteratees as only a partial success. They're leaky and somewhat unsafe abstractions.

I'm experimenting with Mealy machines because I think they have more long-term promise to solve the problems of iteratees.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
Twitter: @jdegoes
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/jdegoes