[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: version 0.7 of monad-parallel, monad-coroutine and SCC

Mario Blažević blamario at acanac.net
Sat Mar 26 13:49:59 CET 2011

On 11-03-26 12:27 AM, Steven Shaw wrote:
> Hi Mario,
>
> I wondered if you had an application in mind for your incremental
> parser library in Haskell? A little while ago I was following the
> development of an open source text editor for Mac OS X called
> Kod[.app]. They were wanting an incremental parser to help with
> correct+fast syntax highlighting and the like. Looks like they decided
> on gazelle written in C. I though you might find it of interest.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/gazelle-users/RfE-lSmqb7c/vrqdPaOIoMwJ
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21msg/gazelle-users/RfE-lSmqb7c/vrqdPaOIoMwJ>
> http://www.reverberate.org/gazelle/
>
> Is that the kind of thing you had in mind for your incremental parser
> library in Haskell?

     The application I had in mind for the incremental parser is already
using it, it's the new version of the streaming component combinators
framework. More generally, though, its main purpose is the efficient
communication between coroutine-like things like enumerators and
iteratees. They tend to produce and consume data in chunks, but the
producer's idea of proper chunk boundaries often doesn't match the
consumer's. So instead of fetching raw chunks, the consumer uses
incremental parser to abstract the producer's boundaries away.

     I did not have text editors or parsing "big" languages in mind when
I wrote the library, but I suppose it could be used there as well. Among
my vague plans were to provide a bridge for the enumerator and coroutine
libraries, and to write a proper incremental XML parser.

     Thanks for the links, I wasn't aware of these projects.