[Haskell-cafe] why are trading/banking industries seriouslyadopting FPLs???

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Fri Mar 25 16:16:21 CET 2011

>     I am very curious about the readiness of trading and banking
> industries to adopt FPLs like Haskell:
> .. Why are are trading/banking diving into FPLs?

Some possible reasons have been given, but to keep things
in perspective, you might want to consider that it isn't just
FPLs. Smalltalk, for instance, got some mileage out of finance
sector success stories. Happily, there is at least one showcase
with some documentation:

    http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/successes/financial-services/jpmorgan/

if you don't see the pdf there, it is

     JPMorgan Derives Clear Benefits From Cincom SmalltalkT
    http://www.cincom.com/pdf/CS040819-1.pdf

Comparing the claims in there (attributed to Dr. Colin Lewis,
Vice President, JPMorgan) with similar ones in Haskell success
stories might yield some clues:

"With such a high productivity factor
that Smalltalk gives us, reaction times to
market changes have enabled us to
beat most of our competitors."

"We have estimated that if we had built
Kapital in another language such as
Java, we would require at least three
times the amount of resources."

"The key is that our development
resources do not have to be Smalltalk
experts."

Now a benchmark game comparing financial success of
Haskell, Smalltalk, Java, .. -backed companies, that would
be something. But it would still not account for the quality
of programmers that came with the language.

Claus