[Haskell-cafe] why are trading/banking industries seriously adopting FPLs???

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Fri Mar 25 09:06:53 CET 2011

Vasili I. Galchin wrote:

>      I am very curious about the readiness of trading and banking industries
> to adopt FPLs like Haskell:
> http://talenteze.catsone.com/careers/index.php?m=portal&a=details&jobOrderID=466095....
> I currently work in the computer security(intrusion detection).

I worked in that area myself at one time. I found the security field
full of snake oil merchants, poor engineering practices, poor
methodlogy and shoddy products.

> My
> colleagues are totally ignorant concerning the foundations/motivations of
> FPLs. (Ironically http://www.galois.com participates in the computer
> security arena!).

Galois is likely a notable exception to my earlier statement.

> Why are are trading/banking diving into FPLs?

The best explanation I know of is by Yaron Minsky of Jane Street
Capital. Find it in the The Monad Reader issue 7:

    http://www.haskell.org/wikiupload/0/03/TMR-Issue7.pdf

Erik