[Haskell-cafe] Light and fast http server

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Sat Mar 12 19:32:31 CET 2011

> snap or warp/yesod. maybe in a few years we will have a winner for the

platform...

> --dons

> On Friday, March 11, 2011, Vo Minh Thu <noteed at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/3/11 Victor Oliveira <rhapsodyv at gmail.com>:

>> Hi cafe,

>> There are a lot of http servers in hackage. I didn't have used none.

>> I would like to know if one of them is something closer of the nginx.

>> I need some light and fast. It don't need support all http, just the
> basics is fine.

>> Suggestions?

> Snap and Warp come to mind. Have a look at this reddit thread:

> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/flpao/the_haskell_high_performance_server_shootout/

> Cheers,

> Thu

To be clear, Yesod and Snap are web frameworks.

If you want just a web server, then your main options are snap-server or
Warp as has been pointed out.
The happstack framework also has a server, but they are planning on
switching it out in the future.
As for speed, warp is at least twice as fast as snap-server.
As for lightness-
* snap-server and Warp support a similar feature set, with some differences
that might be important, depending on your needs.
* Warp has a much smaller code base
* lightness may be a perception of how you interface with the server.
I don't know how you would interface with snap-server except through the
Snap framework.
Warp can be used with Yesod, but runs on the WAI interface.
The WAI inteface allows you to change your mind and deploy to a different
server in the future.
Hopefully it will also allow you to use different frameworks in the future,
although this is not the case yet.
But just as important, it is also designed to support easy and re-usable
low-level web programming.