[Haskell-cafe] Parallel Haskell stories

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 9 17:18:01 CET 2011

Friends

I'm giving a talk at a developer conference in London on Friday 18th, about parallel programming in Haskell.
	http://skillsmatter.com/event/scala/functionalpx-2011/ad-1382

I know that some of you have been using Haskell for parallel or concurrent programming quite a bit, so this email is just to ask

	could you contribute a little vignette or story
	about using Haskell in a *parallel/concurrent* application
	that I could use to illustrate my talk?

I can rant all I like about the glories of Haskell, but I'm a biased witness. It's much more convincing if I can illustrate with true tales from the trenches.

I'm interested in both parallelism and concurrency, so for example the success of Warp in using Concurrent Haskell is in scope.

I can't say a lot about any one example, obviously, but what would be great would be
	- an idea of how Haskell helped (esp if you have a head to head comparison)
	- code snippets that illustrate how lovely it all is
	- brief performance indicators
*Insight* is the key word.  I don't just want to say "Company X used Haskell to do Y" because that doesn't convey any re-usable insights or ideas.  What is the essence?

I'll start writing in earnest on Monday 14th; the talk is on Friday.  I have plenty to say already, so treat this as an opportunity not an obligation.  But still, examples would be good!  Do let me know if you have one.

Simon