[Haskell-cafe] Questions on list administration

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Mar 8 10:11:51 CET 2011

Karthick Gururaj <karthick.gururaj at gmail.com> writes:

> You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
> been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
> being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
> haskell-cafe-owner at haskell.org.

As it says on the Google "about" page, only members may post to the
list.  Ideally, the Google groups interface should add you as a member,
or otherwise perform some magic to allow you to post, but perhaps this
requires more than sufficiently advanced technology...

> Funny thing is, google reports that my post was successful, and my
> post was "visible" on google groups even after I signed out from my
> google account.

Possibly, posts via Google goes via a cache?

> Can I ask a couple of changes be done to help others like me?
> a. In google groups ->
> https://groups.google.com/group/haskell-cafe/about -> add a link to
> the haskell.org -> Mailing lists for more info.

I don't know how Google maintains this page, and I'm not sure whoever is
the list owner does either.  If you can find out how to modify this, I'm
sure nobody would object to adding that information.

> b. Let users join from google groups interface, or if this is not
> possible, mention that in the "about" page

Yes, but this, too, is an issue with Google groups, and not the Haskell
mailing lists.

> c. Change the contents of the reject email (reproduced above) to
> include the following:
> "If you want to subscribe to the Haskell Cafe mailing list, please
> visit http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe"

Well, you don't have to use the web interface to subscribe, but some
information like that would be useful, and I believe this is easy to set
up (we're using Mailman, I believe?).

-k