[Haskell-cafe] Learn You a Haskell for Great Good - a few doubts

Karthick Gururaj karthick.gururaj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 05:38:59 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:12 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 4/03/2011, at 10:47 PM, Karthick Gururaj wrote:

>>> There are several reasonable ways to order tuples.

>>> Not really reasonable because it isn't compatible with equality.
>>>
>>> Ord has to be compatible with Eq, and none of these are.
>> Hmm.. not true. Can you explain what do you mean by "compatibility"?
>
> Trichotomy.
> Ad definition 1:
>        (1,2) > (1,3) is false
>        (1,2) > (1,3) is false
> but     (1,2) ==(1,3) is also false.
>
> Ad definition 2:
>        Same as definition 1 only flipped.
>
> Ad definition 3:
>        (3,4) > (4,3) is false
>        (3,4) < (4,3) is false
> but     (3,4) ==(4,3) is also false.
>
> Ad definition 4:
>
>        (1,0) > (0,1) is false
>        (1,0) < (0,1) is false
> but     (1,0) ==(0,1) is also false.
>
> Ord is a subclass of Eq, after all.

My definitions were incomplete, they need to be "extended" and not
taken as is. Let me define them completely for the sake of this
argument:
Defn 1. Given four arbitrary a, b, c and d on a set X which is an
instance of Ord (so a = b, a > b and a < b are defined), let:
   (a, b) > (c, d) iff a > c  (GT)
   (a, b) < (c, d) iff a < c  (LT)
   (a, b) = (c, d) iff a = c. (EQ)
(please note that I'm redefining the EQ for pairs as well).

With this, the following hold:
   (1, 2) = (1, 3)
   (2, 1) > (1, 10)
   (4, 0) < (5, 5)
It should be obvious that only one of GT, LT and EQ will hold, for any
arbitrary a, b, c, d.

Of course, the definition of EQ here is not what would be considered
"reasonable". I also see now, as I'm typing this, if we define EQ to
be the way it is in Haskell (which IS the reasonable way), then none
of my definitions of GT/LT will hold. Also, using the lexical compare
DOES fall in place with the EQ the way it is defined..

The confusion started for me as I thought of n-tuples as vectors in
n-dimensional space, on which one doesn't usually define GT and LT
operators. Now I see some light :)