[Haskell-cafe] Learn You a Haskell for Great Good - a few doubts

Paul Sujkov psujkov at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:30:40 CET 2011

Hi,

you can always check the types using GHCi prompt:

*Prelude> :i (,)
data (,) a b = (,) a b -- Defined in GHC.Tuple
instance (Bounded a, Bounded b) => Bounded (a, b)
  -- Defined in GHC.Enum
instance (Eq a, Eq b) => Eq (a, b) -- Defined in Data.Tuple
instance Functor ((,) a) -- Defined in Control.Monad.Instances
instance (Ord a, Ord b) => Ord (a, b) -- Defined in Data.Tuple
instance (Read a, Read b) => Read (a, b) -- Defined in GHC.Read
instance (Show a, Show b) => Show (a, b) -- Defined in GHC.Show

that's for a tuple. You can see that tuple has an instance for the Ord
class.

*Prelude> :i ()
data () = () -- Defined in GHC.Unit
instance Bounded () -- Defined in GHC.Enum
instance Enum () -- Defined in GHC.Enum
instance Eq () -- Defined in Data.Tuple
instance Ord () -- Defined in Data.Tuple
instance Read () -- Defined in GHC.Read
instance Show () -- Defined in GHC.Show

and that's for a unit type.

Regards, Paul Sujkov