[Haskell-cafe] A practical Haskell puzzle

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Thu Mar 3 10:28:03 CET 2011

Brandon Moore wrote:
> This code produces and uses a table of all
> allowed combinations. I think this makes it easier
> to understand why the code works (and is H98).
> It's just as easy to make a direct version that
> produces one requested composition in linear time,
> so I haven't worried whether lazy evaluation of this
> table works nicely.

Given that you are allowing serializing and deserializing
at every step, you're right that it's not hard to do it
in Haskell 98. I'm not convinced that you gain
anything by building that big table though.

Anyway, my idea was to try to find a solution that
does not require the runtime cost of serializing and
deserializing at every step just to solve a type problem.
Sorry I didn't make that more clear in my statement
of the problem.

Thanks,
Yitz