[Haskell-cafe] Data.Time

Daniel Schüssler anotheraddress at gmx.de
Mon Jun 27 14:39:46 CEST 2011

On 2011-June-27 Monday 10:15:28 Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> The biggest shortcoming, in my opinion, is that the documentation
> assumes that the reader is very familiar with the Haskell type
> system, and with viewing type signatures and instance lists as an
> integral and central part of the documentation.
>
> In particular, Haskell's standard numeric type classes and the
> conversion functions between them play a central role in the API
> of Data.Time.

Making use of Haddock's recently added(?) support for comments on instance
declaration would help a lot here, I think (even if it was just to draw
attention to the Num/Integral/Real/Fractional instances).

 > Before you undertake writing a whole new time library, why not
> try writing some improved documentation for Data.Time first?

I got the impression that Tony's issue with Data.Time was the lack of some
feature, not usability. Seems like the details that were omitted for the sake
of constructiveness are quite relevant :)

Cheers,
Daniel