[Haskell-cafe] What is a "simple pattern binding"?

dm-list-haskell-cafe at scs.stanford.edu dm-list-haskell-cafe at scs.stanford.edu
Sun Jun 26 23:55:50 CEST 2011

At Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:15:06 +0100,
Paterson, Ross wrote:

> > True.  That ambiguity could be avoided by adding the word "declaration"
> > after "type signature".
>
> On second thoughts, this is unnecessary.  The Report consistently uses
> "expression type signature" for the expression and "type signature"
> for the declaration.

I already sent the haskell-prime mailing list a proposal for the
following wording:

        A binding b1 depends on a binding b2 in the same list of
	declarations if either

	1. b1 contains a free identifier v, v is bound by b2, and the
	   list of declarations does not contain a type signature for
	   v; or

	http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2011-June/003482.html

I think this is clearer, but it might make more sense to discuss on
haskell-prime.

David