[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 187

David Sankel camior at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 16:09:21 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Felipe Almeida Lessa <
felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Short, obfsucated, urls may direct you places you don't want to go,
> > but I fail to see how that concern applies to HWN: since each url is
> > accompanied by a description of its content, that seems to obviate the
> > need to see the actual url.  In most cases, the text also indicates
> > the domain that you will visit, so you can avoid supporting
> > stackoverflow with page impressions if you wish (for example).
>
> It is also possible to borrow half of Slashdot's system and write something
> like
>
>  http://goo.gl/G081Q [article.gmane.org]
>
> Is that a good compromise?

That is a nice in-situ style. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I
think the footnote proponents' main argument is that its lightweight nature
causes less of an interruption when reading the text.

I think its fair to say that those who RTFA more often would benefit most
from in-situ and those who rarely RTFA benefit most from the footnote style.
I'm in the former group, but who knows what most people do?

David

--
David Sankel
Sankel Software