[Haskell-cafe] Verifying Haskell programs vs. generating verified Haskell programs

Dominic Mulligan dominic.p.mulligan at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:11:41 CEST 2011

> I'm no expert with compcert, but as I understand it their approach is
> to only do semantic preserving changes to the program at each step in
> the translation from C source to binary.  I'm not sure what they used
> as their specification of C and it seems like the correctness of their
> approach would still depend on a spec.

The CompCert C compiler's verified pathway starts at C-Light, passes
through a number of intermediate languages, and ends at ARM/Power PC
assembly code.  The existence of a reliable assembler for Power PC or
ARM assembler is assumed, as is the correctness of the CIL tool which
transforms C code into C-Light.   Blazy and Leroy produced an
operational semantics of C-Light in [1].  Naturally, you can then ask
how reliable a model of a "stripped-down C" C-Light really is.  I
believe Regehr's failure to find any bugs in the verified "middle-end"
of the CompCert compiler goes some way to clearing that up (he did find
bugs in the unverified front-end, though) [2]!

Note, in regards to CompCert, what you mean by "semantics preserving" is
actually preservation of a program's extensional semantics.  There's no
guarantee that the CompCert C compiler will not transform an efficient
piece of C code into some computational atrocity, albeit with the same
extensional "meaning", at the assembly level.  We consider this problem
in CerCo [3], a related project to CompCert, which uses essentially the
same intermediate languages as CompCert (including starting at C-Light),
but also proving that each transformation step also preserves, or
improves, the concrete complexity of the code under transformation.

 > There's a second (haha) approach, which I use basically every day.

 > Use the typing language fragment from a strongly typed programming
language to express a specification, and then rely on "free"
functions/theorems and the Howard-Curry isomorphism theorem to guarantee
correctness of implementation relative to the specification.

How does this count as a distinct approach to the problem?  It's
essentially what happens when you verify a program in Coq.

Further, there's much too sharp a distinction in the OP's mind between
constructing a verified program in a proof assistant and verifying an
existing program.  Every large scale verification effort starts out with
a prototype written in a high-level language, as far as I can tell.
seL4's verification started with a Haskell prototype, IIRC, and CerCo's
compiler started as an O'Caml prototype, before we began translating it
into Matita's internal language [4].  CompCert, AFAIK, did exactly the
same thing as we do, using an O'Caml prototype.  It is *much* cheaper to
make large scale design changes in a prototype written in a high-level
programming language than it is in the internal language of a proof
assistant.

[1]: http://gallium.inria.fr/~xleroy/publi/Clight.pdf
<http://gallium.inria.fr/%7Exleroy/publi/Clight.pdf>
[2]: http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/papers/pldi11-preprint.pdf