[Haskell-cafe] Using cmake with haskell

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 07:18:58 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com> wrote:
>> On 5/14/11 6:12 PM, Nathan Howell wrote:
>>> Waf supports parallel builds and works with GHC without too much trouble.
>
> I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned Shake, a build tool/library written in Haskell.  It does parallel builds, multi-language working, accurate dependencies, etc etc.  I use it every day at work, and it is robust, scalable, and relatively easy to use.

It's not surprising if it's not public.  No one is surprised that no
one has mentioned the internal Google build system, for instance.

> Open source implementation here:
>    https://github.com/batterseapower/openshake

It's good to see this, but is it usable yet?  I was assuming from the
fact that it's not on hackage yet that it's still experimental.  If
Shake is still "hopefully" going to be released then maybe there's not
a lot of motivation to work on a replacement, but if it's in "no one
knows" limbo then that could stall a replacement too.  I don't really
care so much about build systems that I'd write one from scratch or
bootstrap an experiment, but if there were something that was already
usable that would be a different story...