[Haskell-cafe] Best Linux Distro for >>=

Nicholas Tung ntung at ntung.com
Wed Jun 22 01:28:30 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 June 2011 13:48, Tom Murphy <amindfv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >   If my choice of Lunix distro depended 100% on its solidness as a
> > Haskell devel platform (I am), what would you all recommend?
>
> In no particular order, the following seem to have good Linux support:
> Gentoo, Arch, Fedora and Debian (I think Testing).

My experience is that OpenSuSE is not quite up-to-date, so I'd recommend
going with Ubuntu if you can make the choice now. They seem to have the 2011
platform,

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/haskell-platform

For non-Haskell concerns, it seems Ubuntu is nice, since it's built on
Debian, but is maybe a little more user-friendly (in community and software
choices). I found Gentoo not so user-friendly ... I am not one to enjoy
spending time installing operating systems, or building things from source,
even if they run faster [wrt. AMD vs. Intel gcc build options] :).

cheers,
Nicholas — https://ntung.com — 4432-nstung